Copyright

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system or transmitted in any form without by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopy, recording or otherwise, without the prior permission of the author, Frank Chirico.

Thursday, June 2, 2016

Art And The Ability To Create

I love to read. I really do. If I could get a job reading and get paid for doing what I love, I would jump at the chance. I try to read at least 20 books a year. For some it's not even a challenge. For others, if they read 20 books in their lifetime would be a great achievement. I'm more of a non-fiction guy myself. I love books on doctrine, self-improvement, and biographies. Not so much fiction, which my left brain blows off as almost pointless because in my mind why should I spend time in book x of 20 reading about something that isn't real. Lets face it, I couldn't even get through the first chapter of Harry Potter, not because it was about witchcraft, but because I couldn't wrap my brain around of the idea of a flying motorcycle.

Then there is music. I love music, of all different genres. Christian mostly. But sometimes I hear a song from way back that triggers a memory of the past. Some good, some bad. But a reflection of the past nonetheless. My collection is pretty vast. Not the collection of music on my I pod per-se, but in my own head. Contemporary Christian artists, Hymns; '80's, '90's rock and metal; Frank Sinatra; country, and electronica especially DeadMou5. They all trigger some sort of feeling or memory that either brings pleasure or pain. But its the hymns that really stir my soul. Taking thoughts of the Lord and molding them into worshipful song. 

Then there is art. The canvas. The strokes of a pen or brush that move in intricate detail copying what is on the human brain for the world to see. My wife and I went to Comicon Des Moines 2016 last month and we had a blast. The one thing I love to do is look at the art, especially the ones that the artists are drawing or painting right there in front of you. It's amazing to me how these artists can take an image in their heads and recreate it on paper or canvas. Boggles my mind, and I respect what they do. 

But it occurred to me as I was standing gazing at works of art at Comicon that I have a fascination with art, of all types. I wish I could write a book, play music, or even draw. But why? For me, I don't have an emotional outlet - a place to express myself. To be honest I think God created us to do just that. He created us as intellectual, and emotional beings for a reason. To give glory to Him. To worship Him the way He wants to be worshiped.  Which brings me to my second point. With all the music I listen to, books I read, or pictures I gaze at...could I be doing damage to my own inspirations and imaginations? Am I creating preconceived ideas to my writing and designing because my brain is clouded with other people's thoughts and imaginations? Why do I have a hard time concentrating, thinking, or coming up with the simplest words to describe something? 

So what must I do? For starters I think I need to lay off the music, books, and movies for a while and seek solitude in my own thoughts. Think about the Lord and meditate on Him. Take two hours with nothing but a pad, pen, and my bible. Next take those thoughts and put them in a media that would be tangible. A poem, song, or story. I would love that. To unplug and totally be immersed in thoughts of my Lord. 

No comments: