Copyright

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system or transmitted in any form without by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopy, recording or otherwise, without the prior permission of the author, Frank Chirico.

Friday, July 4, 2014

Donald Sterling, An Example of Postmodern Tollerance

On April 25, 2014, TMZ Sports released a recording of a conversation between Sterling and a female friend, V. Stiviano from September 2013. The recording included a man confirmed to be Sterling was irritated over a photo Stiviano had posted on Instagram, in which she posed with Basketball Hall of Fame player Magic Johnson. Sterling told Stiviano: "It bothers me a lot that you want to broadcast that you're associating with black people", and, "You can sleep with [black people]. You can bring them in, you can do whatever you want", but "the little I ask you is ... not to bring them to my games." [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Sterling]

This recording sparked a wildfire of controversy and condemnation towards the L.A. Clippers owner. Retributions for his words were far and wide, and everyone had their opinion as to what should be done with him.  Some of the punnishment he faced has been strong: 
  • Banned from the NBA for life.
  • Fined $2.5 million, the maximum fine allowed by the NBA constitution.
  • NBA Commissioner Adam Silver stripped Sterling of virtually all of his authority over the Clippers. 
  • He was banned him from entering any Clippers facility, and banned from attending any NBA games.  
  • Silver also stated that he would move to force Sterling to sell the team, based on a willful violation of the rules, which would require the consent of three-quarters, or 22, of the other 29 NBA team owners.
  • Sterling's wife, Rochelle, who has co-owned the team with him since 1981 , and she has served as one of the team's two alternate governors, is also threatened to have her removed as well. 
Now, let me make this clear.  I don't condone, nor agree with Donald Sterling's views, or his words.  They were hurtful and wrong, but his opinion nonetheless.  But let's look at this from a different angle and a Christian's point of view. 

Remove A Man's Way of Life Because of His Opinion?

Think about this.  As a Christian, what if I was fired for something someone didn't agree with me on my stance towards homosexuality?  What if I was a business owner who was told by the local government to sell my business because I had an opinion different than someone else? 

Ban Him From Interacting With Others Because of His Opinion?

Banning Sterling from any NBA event for life is quite harsh for someone's opinion.  That's quite harsh.  Lets face it, not only did they force him to sell his business, but now take his hobby away.  The guy loved basketball, and enjoyed watching it. 

I wonder at what point or how far things will go.  At what point are my rights as a Christian protected just because someone doesn't like me, what I said, or what I did that would offend them?  These are scary times to be living.  Just some thoughts.

No comments: