Copyright

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system or transmitted in any form without by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopy, recording or otherwise, without the prior permission of the author, Frank Chirico.

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Ways to Conquer Fear In Witnessing - Think Ahead And Reflect

There are only two times you can think about a conversation and reflect on it. Before it starts, and after it ends. That’s it. I’m not talking about the “what if’s”, but preparation.

Think Ahead Of The Situation

There are some things that you can do to prepare before a conversation takes place.

  1. Meditate on the Word. Read the Word, think and ponder what it says, then apply it to your life. Like chewing the cud. Read (eat), meditate (chew), put it in your heart (swallow), remember (regurgitate), then chew and the cycle starts over. It’s also known as musing if you are a reader of the old King James Version. Joshua was told to meditate on the Word (Joshua 1:8). David mediated on God’s Word (Ps 1:2; 63:6; 77:12; 119:15, 23, 48, 78, and 114). Ways to meditate on scripture can be found here thanks to Don Whitney of The Center For Biblical Spirituality.
  2. Carry a New Testament with you wherever you go. You can find a pocket New Testament at your local Christian or used bookstore. Or you can get one from Gideon’s International. You would be amazed at how often you can read God’s word when you carry it with you. I carry one from Gideon’s International and I read it when I am standing in line, or in the bathroom, or even when I am waiting for a plane. Anytime I have even a few minutes, I am thumbing through the pages of God’s Word.
  3. Learn how to share your faith. Thanks to the internet, there is a wealth of information available to us to help us share our faith. Websites like Living Waters, Custom Tract Source, and Pocket Testament League are good websites that have online training, books, and tracts available for you.
  4. Practice answering questions that may be posed to you. How would you answer tough questions from homosexuals, atheists, evolutionists, and new agers? How would you answer cults and false teachings of the Jehovah’s Witnesses, Mormons, and Christian Science? One way to practice is to have a conversation in your head, and answer your own questions. Also role playing with a friend is very helpful too to get even more people involved.

Reflect On Your Conversation

  1. After you have had a conversation with someone, reflect on it.
  2. What was something you should have said?
  3. What was something you shouldn’t have said?
  4. How was your tone of voice, posture, or approach?
  5. What was something that they said that you need to get information on?

You may be thinking to yourself that’s a lot to remember, and that it gets away from being led by the Holy Spirit. What I am suggesting is that you learn from the experiences…not be worried about them. Practice makes perfect. Even though we are not called to be perfect, we are called to be faithful. The more you do it, the easier it gets. Years ago when I was struggling as a new evangelist I kept a journal of my experiences and what I needed to learn. It helped me in my growth and I contribute alot of what I learned by realizing things and writing them down.

As always these are just suggestions how to get better and work out what God has already given you. If you have a better idea, or something different to share with me please do. I am no expert, and I enjoy "talking shop" and learning from people who may know something I don't.

No comments: